Devotional pendant

WB.241     about 1510–25 • Boxwood • plaque

Carved with the Mass of St Gregory on the inside, and the Annunciation on the outside, with a Latin inscription. The scene inside was originally protected by a sliding door, which is now missing.

Curator's Description

Oblong carving of boxwood; square with arched top; one face with Mass of St Gregory, with two acolytes officiating before altar, on which stands Christ with instruments of the Passion; two bishops to right, two priests to left; other face with Annunciation and two men counting beads before figure of Virgin and Child, patron saint on each side; part of larger carving; inscribed.

This object was collected and bequeathed to the British Museum by Ferdinand Anselm Rothschild.

How big is it?

4 cm wide, 6.4 cm high, 2.1 cm deep, and it weighs 20g

Detailed Curatorial Notes

Originally part of a larger carving.

Provenance: None is recorded.


  • Charles Hercules Read, 'The Waddesdon Bequest: Catalogue of the Works of Art bequeathed to the British Museum by Baron Ferdinand Rothschild, M.P., 1898', London, 1902, no. 241, pl.XLIX
  • O.M. Dalton, 'The Waddesdon Bequest', 2nd edn (rev), British Museum, London, 1927, no.241.
  • References

    1. Read 1902: Read, Charles Hercules, The Waddesdon Bequest. Catalogue of the Works of Art Bequeathed to the British Museum by Baron Ferdinand Rothschild, M.P., 1898, London, BMP, 1902
    2. Dalton 1927: Dalton, Ormonde Maddock, The Waddesdon Bequest : jewels, plate, and other works of art bequeathed by Baron Ferdinand Rothschild., London, BMP, 1927

Go to the Collection Online page for this object?